Sunday, February 25, 2007

Chapter 2

The second chapter in our textbook is all about Weblogs. I was introduced to blogging last semester. I knew it was out there, but not much about it. And to be perfectly honest, I am not a big fan. So, I was hoping that this chapter would convert me.

There is a statement on the third page, which does not help in this effort. "Just about every post in his blog has a link in it which is just a part of good blog practice. (Being able to connect ideas and resources via linking is one of Weblogging's most important strengths)." Why does blogging have to have rules? Can't we just use the space as we want? I certainly have not linked my previous entries to anywhere else. Does that not make them valid? And, if I choose to use blogs in my classroom, I am certainly not going to ask my students to link if they do not want to. And there are more rules on page thirty-two.

I can see the validity of using blogs to have a collaborative space. It would be great to assign my students a response for them to put in their blogs and have students comment on their classmates' answers as well. It would provide a more efficient method of peer grading. I also like the idea of a space where students and parents can go to access information for my class. Posting assignments for those that are absent will be as helpful to my students as it will be to me. It puts the responsibility for the make-up work in their hands. It would also allow them to work on some of it while they are out, if they are able.

I am still on the fence about requiring that my students have their own blog, but I am willing to try it out and see how it goes.

No comments: