Sunday, February 25, 2007

Chapter 1

The chapter starts with a discussion on when the internet was created. And though I can remember life without the internet, I now do not know what I would do without it. I cannot tell you the last time a day went by when I did not sign on at least once. My husband and I pay an insane amount for cable internet and have purchased a wireless system so that our laptop is connected.

The chapter goes on to say, "The online life has become an entire strategy for how to live, survive, and thrive in the twenty-first century where cyberspace is a part of everyday life." At first glance, I thought this statement a bit extreme. My parents rarely use the internet, yet they survive. But as I gave it more thought, they do have trouble accessing information, or contacting companies without the use of the internet. I know that I would feel at a loss of where to go to get some of the information I look to cyberspace to provide.

The last part of the chapter talks about how to keep kids safe on the internet. This is a subject that I am very passionate about. If you read my Technology Autobiography, I talked about how nice it would be if every student could have a laptop to take home. But, I do worry about the unsupervised use at home. I am sure that some parents would monitor, but I am equally as sure that some would not. And even the best of filters cannot catch everything. The book's solution is to discuss appropriate use of the internet with your students. And some kids may listen. However, kids are curious by nature and most will take a peek.

Just as a side note, has anyone else noted that spellcheck does not recognize the word "internet?" Somewhat ironic, eh?

No comments: